Andrew

Default Stamp Duty

"Essjay001" wrote in message ...
Simon Gardner wrote:

That is if you sold the house for less than the market value without
paying the stamp duty *for the real market value* you would be
evading tax. The details of all sales go to the District Valuer who
alerts the Revenue to anything suspicious. He is paid to know the
market value of property on his patch. Nobody particularly minds if
you 'sell the house for what price you like' but the Revenue mind
very much you thereby evading stamp duty.

No, sorry, I can't see that. I bought a house advertised at £62500. the
seller was keen to sell and I was keen to avoid stamp duty so I offered
£59950 he accepted. No stamp duty was paid and no taxman came a knocking.
What's the problem with that? It happens all the time

Because it would be impossible to prove you were evading tax rather
than negotiating a fair price. Selling a £220k house for £35k is
pretty obvious and the OP's intentions are now documented in this
newsgroup thread. Lets hope no one from the IR is reading!

Andrew