Martin H. Eastburn

Here is a good read :

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...rc.html#rotcon
Bottom of the page is a locus or balloon tree - right side -
select and hyperlink to the two - read and look at what it says.

Just the facts.

Martin

Phil Kangas wrote:
"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message

Hey Bob,

Maybe I read further in the article or some of the

links

than seems to

be what some here are talking about. The one factor

that

it stated

could account for the difference, was the centrifugal

force, which to

me is similar to the Coriolis effect.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario

Problem here, there is no such thing as centrifugal

force.

Never was, is not
now and never will be................

Where did this ever start? Every mechanics book and ME
handbook on my bookshelf that I checked gives a definition
and formula for centrifugal force.

Resnick & Halliday
Marks
Beer & Johnston
Mabie & Reinholtz
Eshbach
Kent
Machinery's Handbook

Resnick & Halliday refers to centrifugal force as a
"pseudo-force", by which they mean it's a force due to
inertial effects, not that it doesn't exist. I wonder if
this is the source of the confusion?

Ned Simmons

No that's not the source of the 'confusion'. This is one of
my pet peeves
and every time I find another "reputable" reference book
this is the
first thing I look for in the index. They all have it wrong
no matter how
many times they repeat it. Try discussing this in any
college physics
class and see how far you get. Most people just blindly
believe what
they are told as the subject is too difficult to comprehend
and contrary
to what they experience when subjected to "cf'. Back in 1966
at Mich
Tech in Houghton our instructor asked on the first day of
class how
many of us believed in cf. He then proceeded to explain
centripetal
force and stated that anyone referring to cf again in his
class would
receive a failing grade for not grasping the subject matter
at hand.
So don't look for an explanation of cf in those books, study
the subject
of physics yourself. I have several college level physics
books in my library
and none of them list centrifugal force in their indexes.
Phil Kangas

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer