The Natural Philosopher

Roots cannot get through uncracked concrete. But I take your point.

I think they can. A growing tree applies absolutely enormous forces to
anything that gets in its way. How on earth trees muster such forces I
dont know, but they can push retaining walls over, break them in two,
crack them etc. Having seen huge underground roots, I would assume they
can do exactly the same below ground.

Oh, yes, they can...BUT the actual growing part fa root is the root
hair. Those extend into fissures and cracks,or inderneath, and expand.
Then the damege is done to solids.

HOWEVER if they can't get past the obstacle, they stop. Roots won't go
that deep if there are no nutrients there or there are easier ways around.

Think plant pots and concrete planters. Think concrete swers etc. The
danger is not that the pipe is broken by roots growig into it - its that
the roots grow around it, heave at it, crack it and THEN teh roots
migrate inwards.

But a foot of poured concrete will not crack in my lifetime...

NT