Jim Adney

On 16 Jan 2005 08:24:13 -0800 "microx" wrote:

What is the best way to resurrect an IC that has had a couple of legs
broken off, but is otherwise working? I am talking about a regular DIP
IC here, an old computer custom chip which is rare to find now. 2 legs
have been broken off at the root, so you can barely see some metal
peeking out. Is there some easy way to get access to the connection or
break off a piece of the casing to connect a wire to it?

I have replaced broken legs by simply replacing the leg with one from
a dead or cheap IC. Just gently tin the exposed "stump," and then
install the IC either soldering it in, or plug it into it's socket.

Then install the replacement leg, either soldering it into the board
or into the socket, and bend it against the case. A touch of a small
soldering iron will then fuse the two together. This joint will not be
physically strong, but it will be electrically adequate.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA