George E. Cawthon

Mike W. wrote:
There is an old barn down the road from my house that is being torn down.
I've noticed several piles of the old wood that made the exterior of the
barn and wondered if that wood would be any good after 30 years or so? I
have no idea of the thickness. It's definitely grey. There may be some
larger timbers in there too.

Do you think it would be worth salvaging? Im guessing they would allow me
to take whatever I want since it looks like they're trashing it?

Note: I have no joiner or planer, but this could be the excuse I need!

Thanks,

Mike W

Old barn wood is used extensively for rustic picture frames.
And that includes stuff that is severely distressed,
holes, gouges, and splits. Essentially any of the 1" and
2" stuff would be prized by some frame maker. The only
problem is identifying the person(s) that use it.