Lobby Dosser

"swinter" wrote:

Is that the general opinion when building built-in bookcases? Use
vaneered plywood for the structure, then, I'm guessing, use the solid
wood for the face trim pieces.

I was really hoping to use solid wood to construct the shelves - there
is just something about plywood that really rubs me the wrong way. It
seems like cheating. If I could just find good, high quality
purpleheart, I'd use that. The place near me carries it for
$4.98/board ft, which is cheaper than the $5.95/board ft for the
purpleheart plywood at Boulter Plywood. Of course, it would be random
widths, so it's of no real help to me.

What is wrong with random widths? If you don't have the right width, build
it.

Also, are you aware that purpleheart will go brown?