Peter Huebner

In article ,
says...

Actually, I did stop after it was apparent that the bar and chain were
smoking. It wasn't apparent what was happening at first.

If the chain and bar were smoking, then that suggests to me that you
didn't have enough chain bar oil in the tank?!? Or maybe that the feeder
hole was blocked, or that the groove in the bar was full of sawdust.
Smoking should never occur blunt chain or sharp, if the chain
lubrication works as it should.

Incidentally - there is more to it than hardwood and softwood. Some
woods are very abrasive on chains, and you need to touch up much more
often. (eucalyptos spp., for instance). A chain with rounded over
cutters rather than the sharp cornered ones will live and perform much
better in such woods (the sharp cornered ones perform better in soft
timbers like pine and cedar).

I support what someone else already said: touch up the chain at every
refuelling. Do a proper sharpening maybe every 5th or 6th tank ...

-P.