Reyd

In article ,
Bill Rubenstein wrote:

or consider buying what I did, a delta variable speed 6", it totaled up
at 12(CAN, which is under 100$ or thereabouts.
it runs from 2200-3340rpm with a wheel you turn to adjust speed, built
in light on a moveable neck, and the wheels it comes with are good
enough to avoid the extra 30$ for a new one, it has a coarser grey on
the right, and finer white on the left, also comes with a dressing tool
that is one of the stick types.
I run it about 3/4 of full speed which seems to be just the right
balance for me, again you then have the freedom of slow to start with,
and then higherspeed should you want it.

cheers
Reyd

I don't agree. The low speed grinders are also slow speed grinders.
Grinding will take so long that you will avoid doing it when you should.

Get a 3400 rpm grinder and a either buy a jig system or build one. The
Oneway system is good. Get some good white or blue wheels and learn how
to grind with a light touch.

Many suggest using a 1700 rpm grinder. Maybe it would be good to start
with but you will get frustrated with the wasted time after you know how
to grind. There are several dual speed grinders out there.

As to wheels -- my find wheel is 80 grit and the roughing wheel is 36.
Some would say that is too coarse but it works for me.

As to size -- I grind on a 7" Baldor. For many years I ground on an
inexpensive 8" grinder with 7" wheels.

Bill

Rick Samuel wrote:
Have an old grinder that has seen better days, it has 6" wheels. Have a
Jet 1014 on order.
Anyone have ideas as to what to replace my grinder with? The low speed,
(70 to 400) wet, looks like a good idea. Comments welcome. Thanks in
advance.

--

Maybe I'm just a pessimist and am totally wrong; I could live quite
happily with that.