On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:22:41 GMT, blueman wrote:

We have some BX runs laid out in a "star" (or spoke-and-hub)
configuration in our basement.

The electrician suggested replacing the old BX with Romex since he
said that the BX relies on the cladding for grounding which can rust
leaving the circuits ungrounded.

imho:

If it aint broke dont fix. Just keep an eye on it. If it rusts, you
have another problem, tackle the humidity issue asap.

Is this a real concern with BX?
Is Romex better than old BX or does the metal cladding give you a
better quality cable?

Personally I like the dedicated equipment grounding conductor, but
then I have to remind myself, BX(AC) has a dedicated equipment
grounding conductor, and unlike romex(NM) it also shields the
conductors from accidental abuse.

What is the condition of the cladding now?

OH, btw, don't let anyone unnessarly touch the cables. I bet
electrician is handling them alot. The oils and salts on your hands
will attract moisture and discolor(and possibly corrode) the cladding.
Make it look like it needs replaceing.

BTW, I''ve been in houses that were in crappy conditions structurally,
but the BX (AC) was going strong.

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com