Arnie Goetchius

Speedy Jim wrote:

Arnie Goetchius wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

Arnie Goetchius wrote:

SNIP

It is molded fiberglass. To do the job right I figure I need:

- 2" PVC shower stall drain
- Some 2" sched 40 PVC pipe
- 2" P trap for shower
- flexible coupling 2" x 1 1/2 " to connect PVC to original copper

That may look like 1 1/2" copper, but it is probably 2" trade size.
Anyway, there is a Fernco coupling made specifically to couple
PVC to copper sizes. Probably have to go to a supply house, not HD.

Jim

You are correct, it is 2". I took out a piece of the ceiling and took
some pictures. The pictures are posted at www.goetchius.com/shower.htm

The first two pictures (104 or 105) show the corrosion eating through
the riser pipe. The next two pictures (109 and 110) show the complete
layout.

There is a 2" copper pipe coming from the johnny on the left shown in
the third picture (109). This picture shows how the pipe from the
johhny and the shower are connected to a 1 1/2' stack vent.

Since I don't know what that trap elbow looks like on the inside, I
would be inclined to replace both or have a plumber do it.

If there wasn't stack vent connected to the 2" drain pipe, I would be
inclined to cut the 2" drain pipe and connect it all up with plastic.
However, at the moment I'm leaning to having a plumber come and do it
right.

On a temporary basis, I could probably put a sleeve on the riser so I
could use it on a temporary basis until the plumber shows up.

You comments would be appreciated.

Great job on the pics!

That is going to be one tough job. You won't be able to
re-do it with PVC fittings because the copper U-bend is
a much shorter radius than anything made in PVC.

The U-bend is a heavy casting; I doubt it has been weakened.

Yes, it is heavy casting so I agree with you that it is probably okay.

The trick will be soldering a new tailpiece in.

Don't think I'm up to that so I'll see how much the pumber waants to do
that.

Yes, a rubber sleeve for now sounds like a great idea!

That takes the pressure off while I look for a plumber. Thanks again for
your comments.

Jim