Arnie Goetchius

Speedy Jim wrote:
Arnie Goetchius wrote:

SNIP

It is molded fiberglass. To do the job right I figure I need:

- 2" PVC shower stall drain
- Some 2" sched 40 PVC pipe
- 2" P trap for shower
- flexible coupling 2" x 1 1/2 " to connect PVC to original copper

That may look like 1 1/2" copper, but it is probably 2" trade size.
Anyway, there is a Fernco coupling made specifically to couple
PVC to copper sizes. Probably have to go to a supply house, not HD.

Jim

You are correct, it is 2". I took out a piece of the ceiling and took
some pictures. The pictures are posted at www.goetchius.com/shower.htm

The first two pictures (104 or 105) show the corrosion eating through
the riser pipe. The next two pictures (109 and 110) show the complete
layout.

There is a 2" copper pipe coming from the johnny on the left shown in
the third picture (109). This picture shows how the pipe from the johhny
and the shower are connected to a 1 1/2' stack vent.

Since I don't know what that trap elbow looks like on the inside, I
would be inclined to replace both or have a plumber do it.

If there wasn't stack vent connected to the 2" drain pipe, I would be
inclined to cut the 2" drain pipe and connect it all up with plastic.
However, at the moment I'm leaning to having a plumber come and do it right.

On a temporary basis, I could probably put a sleeve on the riser so I
could use it on a temporary basis until the plumber shows up.

You comments would be appreciated.