dude

I don't mean the spray cans for door jams, i mean the type of spray resin
that most insulation companies provide.
They use a spray nozzle and compressor. I don't want to do the whole
basement with it just between the floorjoists and foundation connection
point. The rest of the walls i would use regular r12 insulation and vapour
barrier.
I guess nobody has had experience with the professionals who spray the foam
in??
thanx

"kevwalsh" wrote in message
oups.com...
If by "spray foam" you mean the kind that comes in an aerosol can and
expands to fill a space, or similar items, I think it might be a bad
idea. I am not entirely sure on the details of this, since I have only
seen it used in a few particular places:
- it expands like crazy, and puts a lot of pressure on things that
can't handle it, like drywall, window and door frames (especially
vinyl), etc. It can easily "burst" a wall cavity, or bow a window frame
out of shape.
- it dries to a hard, dense solid, which makes later renovation and
modifications a big pain.

As far as I know, it is best used only in small quantities, for
particular purposes -- like filling up medium-sized gaps in a wall, and
spot-insulation to get rid of drafts.

There are spray insulation products, though, that are meant for entire
walls, like cellulose (fluffed-up newspaper), fiberglass, and other
synthetic products. We did most of our house in cellulose, which
required drilling a few dozen little 1-inch holes in each room to blow
in the insulation.