- How do I calculate the power (watts) that an appliance requires?

normally theyre marked. With the odd item that isnt, if you dont have
the ability to figure it out, use a power measuring meter such as the
'kilawatt' or similar.

But with gens its the VA that counts, not the W. Motors normally have
both W and VA marked on the ratings plate. VA is larger than W for some
goods, especially motors and fluorescent lights.

- When my power is initially connected after a power outage, all of

the
outside floodlights come on and create an initial surge. How would a
generator cope with that?

how many lights? of what type? What genny rating? What other loads?

The only way gennies can cope with big surges is to drop speed right
down and either pick up again slowly or stall, depending on the nature
of the load.

Best option is to avoid surge loading the thing, there are a number of
ways to do this. But in your case, is the surge a problem for the genny
to begin with?

I am assuming that once I have worked out my power requirement, I will
need to find a generator large enough to cope with it.

Possibly, or you'll swear and decide to drop your load expectations.

Having run on 2 generators before, I'd say that trying to run them at
max ratings is a real mistake. Both must have dropped to less than half
speed under full load, making the nameplate ratings distinctly
optimistic. Yeah sure, it _can_ put out 30A... at about 100v. Really we
never got anything like rated output from either of them. I didnt know
squat about engines at the time though.

I would be happy if the generator would power a lighting circuit, and
maybe a few appliances (heating pump, boiler, television, radio etc).

Beware of putting TVs on gens, they tend to not survive. UPS much
better there - or more realistically, just dont bother.

Gens produce large surges when loads are switched off, and such surges
can kill electronic goods.

Radios can power themselves if fitted with rechargeable batteries plus
a diode/resistor so the batteries charge automatically.

NT