James Sweet wrote:

cut-out in series with the fuse. Is this adequate protection

without the
fuse?

Not really, it's best to replace the fuse, though how often does one

leave a
hairdryer running unnatended? Personally on my own unit I would

probably
just bypass it, but I would never sell or otherwise pass the dryer on

someone else or recommend that anyone else takes that route.

James Sweet:
Over the years I have always appreciated and respected your good
technical advice on this newsgroup as I am certain that others also
have found your advice of value;
HOWEVER
I am shocked at your admission that you personally would not bother
with a replacement thermal fuse and would just bypass it. You should
have ended your reply post with your first phrase "it's best to replace
it" .
Even though you indidcated that it would be your PERSONAL course of
action to bypass the thermal fuse, there will be those readers that
have so respected your previous good advice over the years that they
might follow your own personal BAD advice of bypassing an important OEM
safety device like a thermal fuse. I am shocked and surprised that you
would even consider this course of action and bad repair practice;
personal or otherwise. I am sure that I am not the only one who had
this reaction after seeing your BAD ADVICE reply post.
electricitym