Keith R. Williams

In article EsTGd.103275$8l.99904@pd7tw1no, says...

Dave VanHorn wrote:
Come and visit Winnipeg. -29 now (mid afternoon; with -34 forecast
for tonight. And that doesn't include the windchill... with
it it will drop to the mid -40's :

Just for grins, how do you handle your plumbing to keep it from freezing?

Hi...

A few of the luckier of us have indoor plumbing nowdays...
Whatever will they think of next?

Seriously, it's no problem... I froze my water line
where it enters the house once many many years ago;
but 'twas my own fault, and easily cured. Finished
the basement, put R40 insulation on the outer walls.
Left the water line (where it exits the meter) tight
against the concrete wall so it was insulated from any
house heat.

Our water and sewer lines go through the basement floor about 2' from
the exterior wall. They're going to be tough to freeze. Though we do
get a ton of frost. It's not unusual for the frost line to go down
seven feet and break older water mains. Last year we had a bumper crop
of 'em. So far we haven't gotten much below 0F (-7C), though tonight
may get down below -20F (-30C).

My deck pitches up 6-12" every spring. I should be just about getting
to the other end of the 4' sonotubes soon. :-(

One of my neighbors is in the Caribbean as we speak;
I go over daily and empty his mail box; go inside and
turn on one of the cold water taps, flush the toilet
a couple of times, make sure the furnace is still
holding the temperature up, and done. No problem.

Come on up and visit

Wrong direction for me, anyway! Winter is too long here. I'm looking
to move the other way!

--
Keith