Clint

I've heard the weight thing given before as a reason to use plywood, but my
research (ok, two different websites) indicates that something like walnut
has a density of ~610kg/cubic meter, and plywood has an approximate weight
of 75lbs per 3/4" sheet. Doing some very rough math indicates that the
plywood weighs about 596kg/cubic meter.

So the weight thing shouldn't really be a factor, no? Unless you have to
use thicker solid wood instead of plywood?

Now cost, that's a whole nuther story...

Clint

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
I suspect you are going to want to use hardwood plywood
instead of all solid woood for a bookshelf. While it sounds
great to have a solid wood bookshelf, the cost and the weight
would be out of sight.

Consider cherry plywood or even walnut, both of which are
expensive but a great deal cheaper than their hardwood
replacements. Both can be had for $100 per sheet. Mahogany
is also available in plywood but the price goes up for that.

Thes folks have a WIDE selection of plywoods...

http://boulterplywood.com/

Be prepared to pay but they have the good stuff.

swinter wrote:

I am getting ready to build some built-in bookcases in one of my
bedrooms. I was going to use purpleheart, which would go well with the
green paint, but I can't seem to find purpleheart that is not random
width (and smooth finish on all sides). So I need to find another type
of wood as a replacement. I wanted something different, instead of the
standard red oak or walnut. I was thinking mahogany, but that may be a
bit too dark. I prefer a medium to medium-dark tone.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!