Nate Perkins

"AM" wrote in news:1YxGd.18244$ph.12868@okepread01:

Hello -
I'm looking for opinions, hopefully experienced ones, on resawing wood
with a bandsaw. I'm new to the bandsaw world so any / all opinions
are welcome. I've seen articles, books, and a video or two regarding
techniques of resawing. All techniques involve using a fence, however
some use what looks like a curved piece that attaches to the fence
that the wood rests on as a guide. Does resawing require that much
manual direction control or can I slap the wood against the fence, as
on a tablesaw, and use a featherboard to keep steady pressure on the
wood. I am looking to resaw wood not much wider than 4 - 6 inches
wide for now. Thanks!
Dave

Either method works fine. A point contact fence can also be used. The
subtleties are really only important if you are resawing very thin slices;
e.g., veneers.

I do veneers at 1/16" with a tall straight fence about 5" wide. The
important factors are the tuning of the saw (tracking of the blade,
alignment of the thrust bearing and blade side supports) and the reasonable
quality of the blade.