swinter

Default Built-in bookshelves - wood suggestions needed

I am getting ready to build some built-in bookcases in one of my
bedrooms. I was going to use purpleheart, which would go well with the
green paint, but I can't seem to find purpleheart that is not random
width (and smooth finish on all sides). So I need to find another type
of wood as a replacement. I wanted something different, instead of the
standard red oak or walnut. I was thinking mahogany, but that may be a
bit too dark. I prefer a medium to medium-dark tone.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!