mac davis

On 15 Jan 2005 21:25:29 -0800, "tablesawnut" wrote:

I have been eyeballing HF power power tools for about a year. I finaly
brokdown and told my wife to get me a combo disk/belt sander for
Cristmas as an experiment. It was the central machienry brand 4" belt
with a 6" disk. On christmas day I assembled it pluged it in and
fooled around with it for about 10 minutes. It seemed to be
acceptable. I did not expect it to last very long because it was
CHEAP. The other day I needed to use it for real the first time. I
turned it on Its motor was bound up and it literaly went up in smoke.

I dont use some of my more than others this was one I knew I would not
use every weekend but when I had a use for it, it would be very handy
to have.

I think this exeriment can be dubed a colosal failure. I tried to
return it but could only get store credit which is fine I love HF. But
I think I will stick to buying thier disposable hand tools, saw blades
ect.

I am an avid woodworker and It is a good rule of thumb you get what you
pay for when you buy power tools. HF power tools are great for a one
time project after that the tool will probably just colect dust in a
garage.

The argument of buying a cheap tool to learn with I find very strange.
Why not buy a good tool that is easy to use. I makes learning much
easier and fun.

Sorry to hear about the sander... bummer, man..

I bought the 6" belt/9" disk unit years ago, with "free" stand... it's
been a workhorse!
I've probably used 15 belts and 2 or 3 disks and had few problems with
it... mostly adjustment things, which I'm sure I'd have with any
brand...
It's not "quality", but it was cheap and I can't see doing "quality"
work that requires a belt sander.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing