Stormin Mormon

A water heater can burn otu the bottom of the tank if the tank goes dry.
This is unlikely with turning the water off, but leaving the gas on.
(assuming you leave the water in the tank, and don't open the drain at the
bottom).

"evaporate it all out", well, where is the vapor going to go? From water to
vapor, the volume expands times 1800. And it's a sealed system, not like a
soup kettle which is open on top.

But why take the chance? I suggest either leave the water on, or turn them
both off. Of coruse, the relighting problem. Got any neighbors to relight it
for you? Relatives?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Karen" wrote in message
We are leaving town for a month and want to turn off the water to the
hot-water heater. It is natural gas with a pilot light that stays lit
all the time. Can the water be turned off without turning off the gas?
My husband says this is dangerous because the gas will come on when the
water cools down and evaporate it all out and burn the bottom out of the
heater or blow up. Could this happen? Any suggestions?
Neither one of us can re-light the pilot light