The Natural Philosopher

Lobster wrote:

Anna Kettle wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:57:57 GMT, fred wrote:

So before I put the plasterboard up in the bathroom I thought I
might have a stab at some remedial work. Ideally the landing wall
wants to come down too, but that ain't gonna happen any time soon!
I thought I'd try chucking 1:4 PVA all over the back, and then
essentially applying a very rough coat of Carlite bonding plaster
to the back of the laths with a view to it holding the blown
plaster. All that will be concealed as soon as the bathroom wall
goes up.

It's got to be worth a go; has anyone tried this or got any
refinements to suggest (eg which type of plaster)?

Yes I've done this but not on a wall, I have done it on a ceiling from
above. Hoover the wall well before PVAing, propping the wall on the
good side sounds sensible, on a ceiling you'd use a runny mix of
gypsum and perlite which gets in holes easily and is lightweight but
on a wall bonding might be just as successful - worth a try anyway

Would you let me know how you get on?

Did the job at the weekend - TBH I delegated it to the plasterer I'd
hired to do the whole bathroom. Hoovered the back of the affected wall,
PVA'd it, then he slapped on a layer of bonding plaster. We had to
cover the bathroom side with plasterboard before this plaster was solid
and dry, so I can't really report back as to how well it's now stuck,
but certainly the landing side seems very rigid now.

I decided against propping it from the landing side, because that side
already had two thick layers of wallpaper which held the wall pretty
flat anyway; and I thought that if there were any small gaps between the
blown plaster and the laths then it would be better if some plaster got
in there. The landing side is certainly still flat now, and there's much
less of a hollow sound than before when you tap it.

Next time we decorate the landing I'll do the proper job with
plasterboard, but I'm confident this bodge has staved off collapse of
the wall for a good few years!

I've had bodges like that outlast the striuctures they were affixed to.

You will never need to touch it again.

David