Tony Bryer

In article .com,
wrote:
Im just suprised that the house being so solid appears to have
this weakspot. Is it just typical of houses of that era and
design?

I was a BCO in SW London for eight years: on my patch cavity walls
did not come into general use until the end of the 1930's, a fact
which horrified a colleague who came to us from Portsmouth where
they had been the norm since WW1 - they were adopted not for
insulation but to stop damp penetration: more of a problem at the
coast of course.

The gotcha on some of our more cheaply built houses of this era was
that they didn't have upstairs fireplaces and were therefore able to
twist the flues into the thickness of the party wall, thus just
leaving 1/2 brick deep chimney breasts upstairs and therefore only
this much brickwork between the upstairs bedroom on one side and
living room on the other.