The Natural Philosopher

John Borman wrote:

That's given me even more to think about. I'm a bit confused by this Cat 5
cabling, what items can it be used for, surely if its just for computers as
I thought then you would only want it in say an office and maybe bedrooms.

I use it for phones as well.
It CAN be used for other things like running audio I believe.
And how soon before you have a central digital TV recieviever that looks
like a networked web server with all TV channels, and your online store
of DVD's on hard disk, accessible at teh click of a button?

As someone has mentioned what's the need of running two Cat5 cables to each
point? and will there be a central point, say a cabling cupboard where you
could have a broadband modem then have the cables running from this point to
all the rooms where the cable terminates (Would that require a router) sorry
if this is slightly of topic.

Phone and computer. Or two computers maybe (saves a switch/hub?) Or
phone/fac machine..or anything really. I just left teh second cable
curled up in teh box after wiring p teh phonbes mostly.

My system is (now) broadband into router, and computers to broadband
router via cat 5. Prinetsr and fles servres will be networked in due
course, but all that sits in here in teh office. However its nice if
people turn up with laptops, to be able to let them plug in elsewhere in
teh house.

With something like speaker cable in say lounge, would it be best to install
cable and how would you decide on positions.. Also are there terminal wall
plates for speaker cable.

Er. Hmm. Yes and no. I have'nt quite finsighed it, but I have laid some
T & E between wall paltes. They will probably have large banaplug
binding posts on tehm - drilled blank plates etc.

IF you are a surround sond fanatic, thats the one thing that is worth
doing.

I was going to build a sub woofer into teh wall, as well, but She wasn't
having it.