Jeff Prevett

I'm 99% sure that these splitters are either bad or you are accidentally
shorting the shielding when making the tests. The outer shield is that, a
shield which should be connected to ground. If there is continuity between
the lead and the shield, you would be shorting out the signal to ground.

Jeff

"Michael Stoic" wrote in message
Coaxial cable 2-way splitter: Should there be continuity between the
two leads (between the center electrode and the outer sheathing with
the threaded connectors)?

I have three of these splitters, two are brand new (Ideal 1GHz 2-Way
Cable TV Splitter; coax connection; one in, two out) and one is used,
unknown brand. Tested with a Triplett 2030-A tester. All 3 show
continuity, at negligibly small resistance, between the two leads.

I've tested the splitters with the cables attached and without cables
attached (only a copper pin to connect to the supposedly shielded
center). In all cases continuity exists between both leads.

I also tested the coaxial cables, with the crimped ends. All test
normal, i.e. - continuity throughout each lead, at both ends, but not
between the leads. This isolates the splitters, but am I interpreting
things correctly?

My natural instinct is that there should be continuity at both ends of
each connection, but _not between_ them. But then, what do I know. So,
for any cable guys, out the do I have three bad splitters, three
good spliters? What am I missing?