Roger Shoaf

"Robert Scibienski" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:39:18 -0500, "Robin S."
wrote:

At work I clock holes because it's fast, accurate, and intrinsicly safe

(as
in, no surprises).

Please excuse my ignorance, but although I think I know the concept
you are talking about, I'm not sure I really undrstand. would you
mind explaning just how one goes about "clocking" a hole?
TIA
Bob S.

The "clock" is slang for a dial test indicator. This has a small arm with a
ball point on the end that when moved will indicator the amount the tip has
moved.

In the case of a hole, the machinist would approximate the center of the
hole by positioning the work under a pin in the chuck. Then the pin would
be removed and the indicator would be inserted so the ball end will touch
all around the inside of the hole under the pressure from the indicator.
It is then a matter of adjusting the X and Y until the indicator reads the
same all the way around. This positions the spindle directly over the
hole.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.