On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:55:10 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:16:17 GMT, "philly"
wrote:

For a developing woodworker/carpenter, early in the hobby, assembling a
stationary power tool and hand power tool focused shop what key hand tools
should be added to the tool complement for a fully flexible shop?

A low angle block plane, medium shoulder plane, 3 or 4 bench chisels
(1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and maybe a 1"), a scraper, and sharpening equipment
are a good start. Some good rasps can come later. Even if you like
to sand, a decent scraper is great for fixing finish errors, and a
good one isn't expensive.

A good scraper is about dirt cheap! That's why I have so many of them.
A scraper is only a piece of good quality tool steel with an edge
hooked onto it.

Although it wasn't part of your original question, I'd strongly urge
you to take the time to learn to sharpen/burnish a hook on your
scraper(s)

To the list above, I'd add two hand saws: A backsaw or a Japanese
pull-stroke saw and a coping saw. The backsaw/Japanese saw is
invaluable when you're making joints or doing other finicky jobs. The
coping saw is a fast, cheap substitute for a bandsaw on a lot of
simple jobs.

--RC

I don't count measuring and marking tools as you need them in any sort
of woodworking.

Barry

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.