On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 07:33:00 GMT, "Charlie S."
wrote:

Could you define what the spindle is?

the spindle is long square piece the knob screws into.

With the box out of the door you can bring it to your local locksmith to
replace the spring.

Going to the locksmith is something I know I can do. Getting that box out
will be a lot tougher.

it's probably held in with 2 screws.

I also have an old wooden door that coming off it's hinges. The hinge
attaches to the frame and side of the door. The door swings inward. The

pin
mechanism is also inside. It has a large pin with a roundish ball at the
top and bottom of it. The screws are coming out of the where the hinge
meets the frame. Especially at the top and bottom of the hinges. We have

lift the door to open and close/lock it. What should I
do? Just install longer screws?

if the wall it's in is wood frame- made with studs inside- longer
screws is the answer. note that that is *longer* screws, not *fatter*
screws. you want at least one of those screws to reach the stud behind
the door frame, tightened up enough to pull the door up straight.

The
problem with using larger screws is that the screws have larger heads and
that prevents the hinge from closing fully. this then rips out the screws
when the door is forced closed.

again- longer screws the same diameter are what you want.