Grady

What mag pickup are you using? Is it sensing a metal gear, or a plastic
gear with something metal you have secured to it?

"R. O'Brian" wrote in message
newsSyGd.37360$Wo.14125@lakeread08...
I use on of these on my lathe along with a mag. pickup sensing the gear on
the back end of the spindle.
http://www.redlion.net/Products/Digi...ation/DT8.html
Battery powered and easy to use.

Randy

"Grady" wrote in message
Yes, I already have this one bookmarked. It looks like a quality unit,
and

like the fact that it is already setup to accept 2 sensors on imput and
switch between the two. Could do both the lathe and the mill relatively
cheap this way.

"LP" wrote in message
I didn't see the original post but if you're looking for an easy
spindle tach check this out:

http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/

Scroll down, its towards the bottom of this rather long page.

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:01:35 -0600, "Grady" wrote:

Excellent idea. But it looks like it only has 2 digits. If you are
using

multiplier of 10, how can you read out anything past 99 or 990 rpm?

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Grady wrote:
Strictly spindle speed. ... not cost an arm and a leg, and that I
can
assemble myself.

At the bottom for cost would be a bicycle speedometer. I use a Sigma
Sport on my drill press. By using the kph mode and setting the
circumference to 1666mm (IIRC), the speedometer reads in 10's of RPM.
E.g., 30 kph at 300 rpm. It uses a magnet and pickup. Works to
about
3300 rpm, IIRC.

http://www.cccyclery.com/sigmasp.html

Bob