Roger Shoaf

"EL" wrote in message
m...
Nate,

Thanks for the info!

Primary reason I'm cutting tile is there's already an island there,

sitting directly on the subfloor. We're just replacing
it with a bgger one, but in some places the new island wouldn't have any

tile to sit on.

That and I think it just looks a little more "finished" when there's a

little grouted gap between the tile and the wood.
Much bigger "PITA factor" though!

I would consider the idea of breaking out the tiles to fit, and then for the
gap retile the area with some spare tiles left over from the original job,
or tile with a complimentary but different tile around the base.

Another idea would be to make your new island with the same footprint as the
old one, but design it with some sort of gussets to support a larger top.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.