Colin Green

Default IKEA kitchen wall units

I'm measuring up for a new kitchen and see that IKEA have some tall
(92cm) wall units. I might be able to squeeze these in but I was
wondering whether it's a good idea to fit them right against the
ceiling or to leave a bit of a gap. I would guess you need some gap to
allow the doors to open freely, however I was thinking a very small
gap might trap a lot of dust, dead bugs etc. Perhaps closing the gap
with some kind of strip and sealing it off is the answer? (The ceiling
is quite uneven BTW).

Another factor is how much space I have between the work surface and
the wall units. Right now this is 50cm which seems about right,
however the IKEA floor units are listed as being 86cm high(same as my
existing), but they also state that legs are not provided. Does anyone
know if the legs are included in this height? The IKEA plastic legs
can apparently be adjusted between 12-18cm, so does this mean my
actual worktop height is 98-104cm?(+ a bit for depth of the kitchen
surface) - note that the metal legs they sell are even longer.

If the work surface is 98cm+ then it might be sensible to move the
wall units up a touch, but this means I'll have to go for the 72cm
high ones instead.

Thanks in advance,

Colin.