Sam Goldwasser

"Art" writes:

If there is enough of the metal leg available you can try soldering a very
thin wire to each of the tabs and using the wire as the missing leg. Use
only as much heat as necessary trying not to overheat the whole device. BTW
may not work if the device is istalled into a socket.

If it's a plastic IC, you can scrape away a bit of the case to provide more
access for solder. I've done this successfully.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

"microx" wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the best way to resurrect an IC that has had a couple of legs
broken off, but is otherwise working? I am talking about a regular DIP
IC here, an old computer custom chip which is rare to find now. 2 legs
have been broken off at the root, so you can barely see some metal
peeking out. Is there some easy way to get access to the connection or
break off a piece of the casing to connect a wire to it?