Charlie S.

"Once you get the screws out and score the paint around the box, you
re-insert the spindle in the lock and slip the knob on to the spindle.
leave it a little loose. Now grab one knob in each hand and wiggle and tug.
This will pop the lock out of the hole a little, then slip the spindle out
and the lock will pull all the way out."

I didn't need to wiggle and tug. Surprisingly (to me) the lock came out
rather easily. It doesn't look pretty. A few loose screws and a spring. I
will bring to a locksmith to let them figure it out.

Noticed there wasn't a face plate for the latch to go into. May have one
lying around or maybe the locksmith will have an extra one (probably for $5)
There is a bit of spacing between the door and frame as there was some area
cut out before. Don't know if I have to build it up first and hollow out an
area for the latch or what. I know it's difficult to comment on this
without seeing the spacing.

Thanks again for your help.