charlie b

Hello, I am finishing up my shop walls tommorrow and I plan on using
3/8 inch plywood (already on hand). Do I but them up on each other or
should I leave some space between sheets for expansion? I'm not sure
how much plywood expands/contracts but I'm thinking that since I am
screwing the ply to studs spacing shouldn't matter since the screws
will inhibit movement anyhow. My ceilings are 8 feet and change so I
plan on using them vertically and trimming the edges so I can center
the edges on studs. Insulation is already up and I have the ceiling in
( 1/4 inch ply). Once all is in I am painting the whole thing white.
Any opinions, comments? Thanks in advance, Guy

Butt them - looks nicer when painted. Put 'em up with screws rather
than nails - initially two on each stud in the field, four on the
edges.
Paint then fill in the remaining screws so you don't have to scrape,
carve paint out of the screw heads. Makes finding the studs easier
later.

I went with 3/4" OSB and 3/4" ply - lets you hang anything anywhere.

Also, if you haven't done the electrical yet - go surface mounted
conduit and boxes. You WILL rearrange the shop at least one
more time and changing surface mounted stuff is easy.

And if you have a concrete floor, seriously consider epoxy paint.
Concrete floors generate very fine dust - forever. Sprinkle a
LITTLE sand in the paint for a semi-non-slip floor. Use a light
color - beige or tan rather than the industrial gray or red. Will
reflect light better - always need more light.

Unless you like stacking and unstacking lumber, leave a hole
in the ceiling against a wall - box it in in the attic if you live
in a cold climate. Storing long boards vertically makes it SO
much easier to find the one you want.

When you paint the walls DO NOT go with pure white. Too
bright. Navajo White or Autumn Wheet are just right.

Enjoy the hell out of your shop when it's "done".

charlie b