Greg O

wrote in message
oups.com...
My 8 year old colonial in Southeast Michigan has a basement that leaks
after just about any heavy rain or snow melt. The water comes up only
at the point where the foundation (walls) meet the seperately poured
floor (slab) and not through any cracks in the floor or walls. I had a
local company come out and for around $5,000 they will chip away the
perimiter of the slab and install some sort of pvc channels to direct
the water over to my existing sump pump. After installing this they
would re-cement the channel and install a grate on the top to catch any
future leaks. Seems like a high price to me for the size of the job
(foundation is 38' x 22') and I got to wondering if this is something I
could do myself. He says they do the whole job with a chipping hammer
but I wonder if I couldn't cut through the slab which is only around 2"
thich with a circular saw and masonary blade. Once cut I would imagine
it could be broken free with a sledgehammer. Any ideas from someone in
the business or who has done this before? Any risks I may not be
considering?

-Dave in SE Michigan

If it is leaking just at the base of the walls this may be your answer. You
can buy simular products at Menards, Lowes and Home Depot.
http://www.waterproof.com/
Greg