AZGuy

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:27:54 GMT, Rob Gray wrote:

Someone posted about this subject a few weeks back and I have some more
questions. I am getting ready to replace the "shower board" material
(material is a composite board material with a waterproof shiny front
that looks like tile) in a shower in my family's vacation place. The
existing board was put in about 25 years ago and it has worked very well
but needs replacing. I bought the new board at Home Depot and the
adhesive they recommend using. I have a few questions on installing this
stuff though, as follows:

1) The product comes with plastic border strips both for seams and
corners. Do I also need to use bathroom sylicone sealent along all edges
for water-tightness?

I would use something but not silicone based, or at least not "pure"
silicone types. I just did a bathroom and the silicone sealant would
not stick to some of the plastics and just made a mess of things.

2) Someone here noted to be sure the board does not touch the tub, but
that I leave a slight gap to avoid the water "wicking" up into the
board. How big a gap do I leave?

I've never heard that before but I can see the reasoning behind the
suggestion. Even so, I would not leave a gap if I was doing it. Do
you really want to leave a gap where bugs and dirt/dust can get into
your living space from behind what will inevitably be a somewhat moist
inside the wall area? How's the wife going to react when spiders start
coming out during her shower? And if you leave a gap you will be
insuring that moisture can get up into the wall even if only from the
"Fog" when using the bathroom/tub/shower. I'd make it tight and seal
it. Even if you leave a gap I would suspect that over the long term
you'd wind up having to run sealant in there anyway.

Any other suggestions would also be welcome!

Rob
NE PA

--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789