IMM

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "John Borman"
says...
snip
That's given me even more to think about. I'm a bit confused by this Cat

5
cabling, what items can it be used for, surely if its just for computers

as
I thought then you would only want it in say an office and maybe

bedrooms.

You can use it for telephone, home automation and anything else that
uses low-voltage low-current.

As someone has mentioned what's the need of running two Cat5 cables to

each
point? and will there be a central point, say a cabling cupboard where

you
could have a broadband modem then have the cables running from this

point to
all the rooms where the cable terminates (Would that require a router)

Yes. Doubling up on cables gives you a spare in case there are
problems with one of them (it's much easier to run extra cables in a
new build than it is to replace them later, and the extra cost is
negligible compared to the hassle) and it gives you the opportunity
to use the spare as above.

Back to main topic. Don't get hung up on toys. Concentrate on the main
aspects that cannot be changed once installed: superinsulation,
air-tightness, elimination of cold bridges, etc. Also dig around the
foundations, and install insulation against the buildings walls underground.
This prevents heat loss to the side of the building floor slab to the
surrounding cold earth. This can be done retro in any house that has a
concrete slab. Easy and cheap to do, all you do is dig down in stages and
then backfill. Keeps you fit.