In the 1980s I had a Mr. Coffee type maker that the thermal fuse blew
(this was the first time I had seen one of these things) and I wanted
coffee. I cut the fuse out and connected the wires and it worked fine
for about a week. Then one morning I put the coffee on and went two
rooms away to pull in my email as I usually do. After a while I began
to smell something burning. I went back to the kitchen and there on
the counter top was the coffee maker with the tower melted down onto
the base and turning into a molten blob. I unplugged it and when the
mess cooled down I was able to scrape it off the counter top. I found
that the bimetal thermal cut-out had stuck closed and then I knew what
blew the fuse in the first place.

I learned my lesson and never eliminated a thermal fuse again. I'm
glad I had not left for work as I might have lost my house.

Van Gardner

Martik wrote:
Heat element burnt out near the terminal so I rerouted and crimped it

back
on and bypassed the blown thermal fuse with a 1/2" length of 18 gauge

solid
copper soldered to the remains of the fuse leads. There is a bimetal

thermal
cut-out in series with the fuse. Is this adequate protection without

the
fuse?