On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 23:31:04 -0600, Mike Paulsen
wrote:

C wrote:
I'm closing in a hole about 5' x 5'. Based upon the width of the wall and
true width of a 2' x 4' that will be used to frame the hole, I'm left with
3/4" on each side. If I use 5/8" drywall, I will be 1/8" shy of a level
surface. Should I use this method and then fill in the 1/8" with compound
to bring it up or should I rip 1/2" off the framing material so I can get
1" on each side and double up 1/2" drywall on each side to get the drywall
flush with the existing wall? If the latter is the best method, should the
pieces be glued in some way before they are placed up or should the normal
act of screwing them to the joists be enough?

Thanks,

Use 2x4s to frame the opening, then shim out the studs with any thin
stock you have available so that 1/2" or 5/8" drywall will be flush with
the exiting wall. Just about any thin stock will work -- paneling, luan,
plywood, etc.

Hmm... An excellent idea.

Thanks!