Chris L.

Default Problem with right channel on Sony STR-D790 Receiver

Yesterday I went to turn my receiver on and listen to an album when I
noticed I was getting a lot of distortion in my right channel speaker.
I decided to test out what was going on. I moved the right speaker to
the B output on the right channel and was experiencing the same
static/distortion. I then switched the right speaker to the left A
output and everything worked fine. To be certain, I switched the left
speaker to the right channel to find the speaker was producing the same
sound as the right speaker had earlier. So anyway, it's certainly a
problem with the right channel and not the speakers. Both the A and B
outputs are producing this very distorted static sound. I don't have
much knowledge of audio electronics, but I have worked on electronics
before and can solder, etc. But when it gets down to it, I can't
imagine where to really begin. I imagine since the left channel is
working properly (and I'm assuming both match electronically) I could
easily see where the problem is, if I knew where to begin. I'm assuming
nothing blown, but could something need to be re-soldered? The channel
is still producing sound, but it sounds quite a bit like a blown
speaker, with the static and rattling.