Charlie S.

I should have mentioned it earlier. The door does have a knob and latch

(I
presume by latch you mean the thing that goes in and out when you turn
the
door knob.) It's a very old door the door knob doesn't work. It rotates,
but doesn't turn the 'latch'. I think I could install a latch. I've
installed locks in doors. This couldn't be any more difficult.
Although,
don't be surprised if I am back here trying to find out how take the old
knob off:-)

OK I am a locksmith, Iam here to help. If it a really old door (pre war)
then you probably have a mortise lock. These have a metal box set into a
pocket in the edge of the door.

Seems to be a mortise lock for it has a metal box set into a pocket in the
edge of the door. Taking the kitchen knob off I came across something I
can't quite figure out. Maybe you can explain.

There is the flat metallic ring that has a hole in the center of the ring.
It allows the spindle mechanism through and acts as a sort of facade or face
plate that rest against the door. (I am assuming the spindle is long square
piece the knob screws into.) This piece turns freely as it is not screwed
into anything. There are two holes in this piece where I assume screws hold
it in place. I looked behind it and there is the metal box you told me
about. But, I didn't see any holes that the screws might go into. Is there
a piece missing? Or, is it held in place another way. (Sorry for
digressing from the real problem.)

To remove these you need to unscrew the set
screw on the knob spindle. Once this is loose the knob unthreads from the
spindle. The spindle then will slide out.
you can then remove two screws from the edge of the door. the box can
then
slide out. It might be stuck. If so use a utility knife to cut
throughteh
paint film around the edge of the box, and reinsert the spindle holding
both
sides of the spindle.

Could you define what the spindle is?

This will take some work. This door may have been painted a dozen times or
more over the course of its lifetime.

With the box out of the door you can bring it to your local locksmith to
replace the spring.

Going to the locksmith is something I know I can do. Getting that box out
will be a lot tougher.

If the knob is the newer style there is probably a couple of screws in the
inside rose.

I don't know what you mean by rose. There is one screw on the knob with a
choice of 3 holes to screw the knob into. I screwed the knob back to the
hole closest to the door.

If there is no exposed screws look on the edge of the door.
There should be a brand name. Tell me what that is.

There is a lot of paint on the door. Scraping it off would be a project in
itself. Thus, I don't think I will be able to tell you the name of the
lock. Sorry. If the weather were warmer I wouldn't mind. But, this
breezeway is very cold.
On the edge of the door there are two screws holding the box mechanism and
lock in place. One on the bottom and one on top. The whole plate is about
6 inches long. I am pretty sure it's one piece. Although with all the
paint and the darkness I am not 100% sure.

I also have an old wooden door that coming off it's hinges. The hinge
attaches to the frame and side of the door. The door swings inward. The

pin
mechanism is also inside. It has a large pin with a roundish ball at the
top and bottom of it. The screws are coming out of the where the hinge
meets the frame. Especially at the top and bottom of the hinges. We have

lift the door to open and close/lock it. It rest on carpet so it takes

some
effort. This is another thing we've lived with for years. What should I
do? Just install longer screws? Or, should I prep the frame somehow so
that it will hold the screws more securely?

This is usually an easy fix. Remove the screw and drive in a wood dowel.
then replace the screw.

I'm really don't have carpenter skills. What would be the best way to go
about measuring, cutting and inserting the dowel?

Would this project be a lot easier if I took the door off the hinge first?
Or, should I take the screws out of the hinge one at a time and fill each
hole individually with dowel materials? The door is not very heavy.

On measuring the dowel: should I insert the dowel into the screw hole and
mark where it meets the hinge. Or, should I cut the dowel a little shorter
than the length of the hole? Add glue? Or, only add glue if I drill a
bigger hole?

I am sure the screws in the door are ancient and probably rusty. I'll
probably be putting in new screws. I imagine any type of flat head screw
would be sufficient? As you suggested I'll be sure not to use screws that
are too long.

This should snug the hinge up. If the wood is
really chewed up I will drill a clean hole and glue in a bigger dowel.
The
problem with using larger screws is that the screws have larger heads and
that prevents the hinge from closing fully. this then rips out the screws
when the door is forced closed.

Got it.
Thanks!
Charlie

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
they come up with this striped stuff.