bro

I'll try some denatured alcohol.

Mike

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"bro" wrote in message
news:8IlGd.1777$HT6.1169@trnddc04...
I removed the wall to wall carpet from the 70 year old house I recently
bought.
The floors in the bedrooms appears to be pine coated with shellac or
possibly
polyurethane. I don't want to refinish the floors because of the
beautiful patina.
In only isolated spots and by the door the coating show heavy wear.

How can I find out which coating is on the floors? How can I protect
and preserve
the floors? What should I use to clean and preserve them?

Thanks,

Mike

If they are coated with shellac, it will dissolve with alcohol. In an
inconspicuous place (or in a closet), moisten it with denatured alcohol.
For years, Murphy's Oil Soap was used for floors but there may be better
products now.