IMM

"John Borman" wrote in message
Hi people, am just looking to pick peoples brains. After 4 year battle

with
the local planners we have finally got planning permission for the
conversion of a Barn into residential premises. Waiting so long we are

eager
to get things rolling, and will be seeing the architect in the next week

or
so.

However after doing our first house as a self build there were a number of
things we missed and would have liked. We want this one to be perfect not
just for us but for families down the line. So what I was looking for was
things that people on here would really like to have see in their house.
Things we are considering a Network cables to most rooms, Underfloor
heating, Reed bed sewage treatment, Heat exchangers. Now this is only a

few
things if people on here have ideas on these or any others ideas I would

be
much appreciated.
Yours
John

- Superinsulated
- Air tight
- Large solar roof supplying hot water to a thermal store battery
- CAT 5 to all rooms, although wireless technolohy is making this redundant.
- Rainwater harvesting taking water from roof.
- Reedbed
- Low flush toilets
- low energy appliances (mainly AEG)
- low flow spay head aerated taps
- Heat recovery and ventilation with a copper coil heater battery in the
ductwork to heat the place. (heating needs will be low with
superinsulation)
- very low temp underfloor heating run from the thermal store battery (only
if barn is too big and superinsulation does not quite hack it).
- Warmcell blown-in insulation in all stud walls to deaden sound too.
- Rockwool bats in floors to deaden sound.
- DHW pre-heated, or heated, by thermal store
- Heat recovery point of use extractors in kitchen and bathroom.
- Large kitchen extraction fed into main heat recovery duct system
- quadruple glazing
- backup generator to supply essential circuits. (can a portable unit hung
on garage wall and plugged in)

PVC cells are not worth it yet, neither is a heat pump.