Don

Phil,

Maybe a poor choice of words in using "toying". Didn't actually have the
set apart (or whacking it with a 2x4! More case of channel changing and
video source changing.

Between your response and Art's, I might take a peek inside. I'm more of a
digital type, but certainly know how to read a schematic, trace circuits,
and which end of the soldering iron to hold!

Thanks!

Don

"Phil Bowser" wrote in message
Given the fact that the set "sometimes" has a full picture, I believe
you need neither an IC or capacitors, although replacement of the
electrolytic capacitors around the vertical output would be good

preventive
maintenance.

Sounds to me like the solder connections have cracked around the pins

of
the vertical output IC (very common) and / or other components in that

area.
As you so adequately put "toying with it" - you probably momentarily

flexed
the circuit board or induced some physical impact that allowed the
connections to "make" and allow the set to develope a full picture for a
moment or so. If you're comfortable with a soldering iron, disconnect AC
power to it and have a good look at the pins of the IC with a magnifier,

and
resolder as needed.