James Sweet

"mike" wrote in message
James Sweet wrote:
"Martik" wrote in message
news:53gGd.99402$dv1.20093@edtnps89...

Heat element burnt out near the terminal so I rerouted and crimped it

back
on and bypassed the blown thermal fuse with a 1/2" length of 18 gauge

solid

copper soldered to the remains of the fuse leads. There is a bimetal

thermal

cut-out in series with the fuse. Is this adequate protection without the
fuse?

Not really, it's best to replace the fuse, though how often does one

leave a
hairdryer running unnatended? Personally on my own unit I would probably
just bypass it, but I would never sell or otherwise pass the dryer on to
someone else or recommend that anyone else takes that route.

Gross safety negligence is IRRESPONSIBLE!!!
You can bet the farm that if there was any way to make the device safe
without the thermal fuse, it wouldn't be in there.

It's really easy to assume that you can control all the variables. YOU
CAN'T!!
What if your kid borrows it? Somebody buys it at a garage sale. Just
because you didn't intend it doesn't mean it won't happen.

I was burned out of my appartment by the idiot next door who did
something stupid. I expect he was sure there was no danger to others.

Yes but it's a risk I personally am willing to take, I don't have kids, I
don't often loan stuff out and certainly not a hair dryer. What next, are
you gonna tell me not to burn candles or use my wood stove because they
might burn the house down too? As I said, I wouldn't recommend someone else
bypass safety devices but I've got a lot more important things to worry
about than if someone does it. Now if they were talking about bypassing the
thermal fuse in their central furnace which operates automatically and
unnatended then yes, that would be very stupid.