alexy

Andy Dingley wrote:

Doesn't move when you sit on it, flat and level enough not to spill
your coffee mug.

I care much more about stability than I do about flatness. If I was to
start obsessing about flatness, I'd go for the assembly table, not the
workbench.

Thanks, Andy. I suspected that the right answer for flatness of the
bench was "flat enough that flat workpieces don't rock when you are
working on them". On the other hand, I am concerned about avoiding
twist and that the front of the bench (which will be the rear jaw of
my shoulder vice) be perpendicular to the top. Better to plane pieces
square and cut square joints than to force them square during
assembly! g

And yes, I was obsessing about flatness, just for the fun of seeing
what is possible with how much work. I suspect that I've got it a lot
flatter than I need it, and that I will not maintain it to this degree
of flatness.