Don Foreman

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 06:42:37 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

I came up with about the same voltage drop. MIG voltage is typically
around 24 volts, so I figured 5% of that should not be a problem.

Hehe. It is when you NEED that 220A! G

A 5% drop in voltage won't affect max current much. In short-circuit
transfer (which is the case at 220 amps) current is set more by wire
speed.

However, I note that the (factory) 10-foot ground lead on my Milller
210 is 3AWG, which is 5.827 mm dia. or 26.6 mm^2. Scaling that by
75/10 would suggest 200 mm^2!

Not quite, because you have to factor in the electrode lead length as
well. It may not be as long (?) but....anyway it still leaves me with
100mm^2.

Now there's a question. These cables a _multi_ strand. Dioes that
gauge of the cable allow for that? So are your strands equivalent to
3AWG solid wire? I am assuming so.

Yes.