Steve W.

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:44:39 -0500, "Steve W."
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

ANY video display located in the drivers line of vision has been

illegal
for a long time. BUT the ricers don't care.

I assume you are feferring to Asians? Careful. However, in Oz it is
Australians of the WASP persuasion that are buying and using them. I
do not know if they are illegal. But they are sold. If they are
illegal they should not be sold. If the car makers had any brains,
they would not put them in cars in Oz, for the sake of their image.

Same with illegal
tint,lights and exhaust. The problem is that the Police don't hit

enough
of them hard enough to make it stick.

Again. These are sold _with the car_. That's where it should hit.
ACtually we have a pretty tough stance on the the other bits here.
They take your car away from you for a while if you are naughty. They
then tell you fix this. You take it back, then that, then the other
etc. G.

Being sold with the car doesn't make them any less illegal. If they are
wires in so they will not function when the vehicle is in motion they
are technically legal. I know in NY they won't specifically pull you
over for cell use while driving UNLESS your creating a hazard or have
some other violation. But I still hand the phone to a passenger or let
the voicemail get it, and I have a hands free device. Just not worth a
possible ticket, accident, death, for a phone call.

"RICERS" are ANYONE who modifies an auto (usually Honda, Hyundai, or
Toyota) with crap that serves no useful purpose. Things like "Fart Can"
exhaust tips (6" chrome that makes that 4 banger sound like a ****ed off
bumblebee in a can) Window tinting so dark you have to have the lights
on inside to see. Stickers like RS6 or Supercharged on a plain jane four
cylinder. Car dropped to the point that hitting a mouse causes damage.
Running 20 inch rims with rubber band tires and being very afraid of
bumps or potholes. Neon lighting under the vehicle. Interior items like
shift light tach on an automatic, Lighted dash trim, LED lighted washer
nozzles Most of them also seem to listen to "music*" that you can hear
the bass line in LONG before the car shows up. And they also seem to
have a penchant for wearing pants three sizes to large hanging halfway
down.
(side note: The pants thing has been researched and discovered to have
originated in prisons on the West Coast of the US. Seems it is a sign to
other male inmates that you are willing to be the "catcher" during
sexual activities between male inmates. It was brought out of the
prisons by the inmates as the same sign to others)

"music*"= very loose definition of what usually comes out of those
vehicles. Most of it seems to be drummers and people being tortured till
they scream every obscenity they can.