Liz

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Doobielicious" wrote in message
news:uJeGd.99372$dv1.52169@edtnps89...
Isn't popcorn ceiling Stucco or compound mud? If so why do people say
it's
so bad for you (Asbestos) if you scrape it?

No, it is not a texture applied, it is a gunk that is sprayed on. Horrid
stuff, IMO.

In some older homes it may contain small amounts of asbestos. In newer
(1978 or newer) it does not. I tried painting it, hated it, and then took
it all down, one room at a time. Kind of messy, but once done we have
nice flat white ceilings that look much cleaner.

Whenever I see a topic re popcorn ceilings I want to gag. In 1997 my son
and his wife-to-be bought a 40-year-old split level home in the Philly
'burbs. My DIL, having grown up in a section of Philly where popcorn
ceilings are the standard, actually paid someone to have that crap sprayed
in all three bedrooms. Fortunately, my son put his foot down when she
wanted to do the whole house. At least she didn't have the sparkles sprayed
on with the popcorn gunk like her mother's house! G

Liz