tony sayer

In article , John
Rumm writes
tony sayer wrote:

Now do the same with the neutral output side of the trip and it won't
trip. So why does this happen?. Remember CURRENT flow. In the first

Errr, in fact it might. There is a very good chance that a potential
difference will exist between your earth stake and the neutral connected
to the incoming side of the RCD. Hence current can flow.

Yes you could argue this, but I didn't want to cause any more confusion
more than what's perhaps been generated already

In fact if there was a heavy earth current into the earth locally than
that could be sufficient to cause upset, but its rather unlikely.

In fact I have to alter a circuit thats fed by around 900 metres of
overhead low voltage sometime this week I'll see what's induced there.

Snipppppppppppp

Yup, so long as you don't fall for the BigWallop assumption that E and N
are going to be at the same potential. The only setup where that is
likely is on a PME system, and then only where there are no circuits
turned on at all.

No of course if your e and n are "connected" on your premises this loop
is very short so no real chance of anything there at all!.

In fact years ago we used to use the earth to carry audio over from mine
to a friends house with two stakes set someway apart. Its just a
collection of an infinite number of resistor's really)

Surprising what audio you could get through, but there wasn't that much
hum!...

--
Tony Sayer

Bancom Communications Ltd U.K. Tel+44 1223 566577 Fax+44 1223 566588

P.O. Box 280, Cambridge, England, CB2 2DY E-Mail