Andy Wade

Martin wrote:

(a) Is it better to have fixed IP security cameras transmitting pictures to
a central server, or CCTV cameras connected back to a UHF distributor?

I suppose it depends on how and where you intend to view the pictures.
As your TV distribution is going to be RF-based rather than IP streaming
then, assuming you want to be able to see the cameras' images on all
TVs, it would probably make sense to modulate the camera o/p's onto UHF
channels. You mention 3 cameras: with careful choice of modulator o/p
channels you should be able to have each camera on a separate UHF
channel and selectable from the TV channel changer - thus avoiding the
need for central camera switching and associated remote control extension.

(b) The distance from the TV aerial to the UHF distributor in the "Node
Zero" cupboard is 30ft. If I put the distributor in the attic instead, the
distance would be only 15ft. Would this make any meaningful difference to
the signal quality?

Not unless you're in a particularly weak signal area. The loss of
CT100-type coax cables is about 0.2 dB per metre at the top of the UHF
band so 15 ft. difference translates to 1 dB - usually negligible.

Is there any reason to keep the TV "loftbox" away from the Node Zero
LAN equipment?

Yes and no. If you use good CAI benchmarked cable, CT100, WF100, etc.,
decent crimp coax connectors and well-screened TV distribution
equipment throughout, and your workmanship is good then proximity
shouldn't matter too much - although I'd still maintain reasonable
segregation (50mm or so) between the Cat-6 wiring and the coax.

(c) What hardware and cable-type is required to enable me to have an IR
remote handset to select the video signal source (i.e. select terrestrial TV
or CCTV cam 1 or CCTV cam 2 or CCTV cam 3) in any room?

As I said above, if you distribute the camera signals modulated on UHF
TV channels, then nothing more than the normal I-R handsets for the TVs
and the DTT (Freeview) receivers. The cameras would appear as normal
analogue TV channels (6 - 8, say) and DTT would be on an A/V input via
SCART.

(d) Can anyone recommend a digital audio server compatible with a networked
music player and a Windows XP p.c. network?

Pass. This topic came up in a recent thread though.

(e) Does anyone know of a system whereby I can connect 4 intercom units over
a LAN?

I know you said no wireless, but DECT phones make a good intercom system.

snip

Television...
A digital television aerial will be connected by CT100 cable to the input of
a Node Zero UHF distribution amplifier (LoftBox?). The outputs of this
distribution amplifier will be connected by CT100 to a maximum of 8 TV
sockets in various rooms thoughout the house. Each outlet point should be
able to receive normal terrestrial TV, FM, and DAB. Each outlet point will
require a separate Freeview digi box (e.g. Sony VTX-D800U).

At the moment, I don't have cable or satellite TV, nor do I have any plans
to add these.

It sounds as if you have no need of a 'loft box' (Global's TM) or
equivalent product, or even a distribution system with 'I-R return
path'. These come into their own where you want to feed the output of a
VCR etc. back up to the d/a for distribution round the house - which you
say a few lines later that you don't want to do.

All you need is a basic 'aerial amplifier' type of MATV distribution
system to feed the antenna signals plus your modulated camera signals to
the eight coax outlet points.

Ideally, the three security cameras mentioned above should also be input
into the distribution amplifier so that their pictures are viewable on any
TV. This will require some sort of IR switching control to select the source
signal.

Or three UHF modulators, as I said.

Alternatively, I could use cameras with an IP address so that I can
view their pictures on a p.c. connected to the LAN.

That's useful if you want to record to HD. If you go down the RF road
the same could be achieved by using a TV tuner card in the PC.

snip

HTH
--
Andy